State-of-the-Art Hybrid Operating Rooms Open at Stony Brook University Hospital
April 23, 2022
Stony Brook University Hospital has installed two fully equipped hybrid operating rooms (ORs), to provide patients with minimally invasive surgical procedures that are shorter, safer and more convenient.
The hybrid ORs feature the most up-to-date, technologically sophisticated equipment. Called the Siemens Artis Pheno, it has the most cutting-edge imaging capabilities available today. Stony Brook is the first hospital in the Northeast — and the third hospital in the country — that currently uses this type of imaging equipment.
The hybrid ORs, which are each about twice as large as traditional ORs, have the usual surgical equipment plus a large complement of very sophisticated imaging technology that normally isn’t located in a traditional OR. Having leading-edge imaging capabilities, such as the latest CT scanners, in the OR allows surgeons to perform complex procedures with real-time image guidance.
The Important Advantages of Stony Brook’s Hybrid OR
Hybrid ORs are specially designed and equipped to make today’s surgeries safer and easier for patients and the medical professionals who are in the OR with the patient.
- Having advanced imaging equipment available during surgery allows for faster, more precise placement of surgical tools and implants.
- Surgeries generally proceed more quickly because everything the surgeon needs is right in the room. There’s no need to move to another location for additional procedures or imaging.
- The newest technologies require less radiation and less contrast material — the dye that is needed to give doctors a better view of tissues. This means greater safety for patients.
- Results for patients may be enhanced due to the shorter surgical times, smaller incisions needed for minimally invasive procedures and the greater imaging accuracy.
- If surgeons determine that other procedures, including traditional open surgery, are needed for an individual patient, the open surgery can be done safely and immediately in the same room.
Unsupported request - method type: get